Ticker

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Counting down...

Well, the party is on Saturday! Can you believe it! I have not been too good at keeping this blog updated, life has just been too hectic. But you'll be glad to know that I have been persevering and even though it is slower than I had hoped, the weight is coming off.

I have to say, when people ask me how I have lost weight, the secret is commitment. If you are not 100% committed then you will not get rid of the weight. You have to decide to start being good with your eating and stick to it. No more "I'll start on Monday" nonsense. You have to start now. Else you will keep putting it off.

On the exercise front, I realised that exercising twice a week was not enough. Most weeks I have been doing some form of cardio exercise at least 4 - 6 times a week. And by cardio I don't mean Pilates or yoga. Your heartrate must go up and stay up for at least half an hour. It is good to strengthen your muscles and tone your body as muscles use up more energy than fat so the more muscle you have the quicker you will burn off the fat. But you still need that cardio for fat-burning.

Then eating. I reduced my carb/starch intake a lot. I did not cut it out completely as your body needs some carbs to produce energy, just not a huge amount at a time. And preferably not after 6pm in the evening. Which was quite difficult to do when my FIL who has been staying with us decides to make supper as his supper is almost always a stew with plenty potatoes and rice! And I hardly ever eat bread anymore. And I cut out dessert. Not to say I did not occasionally sneak in a choccie esp. over Easter! But in general no dessert. Oh, and cut out the beers, ciders and fattening drinks! Very hard I know, but I switched to a light white wine instead of the sweet (and fattening and sugar-laden) rose's I had been drinking. And no sodas, including coke, Sprite etc. If I really had to have one then it would be Coke Light or Sprite Zero.

So that is how I have done it. I have not reached my goal yet so will keep going until I reach it and then after that I will still always be careful what I eat and make sure I get plenty of exercise in so that I can maintain that weight and not pick up again.

Body stats again on Friday, party on Saturday!! Here's hoping I have dropped a bit since last week!

1 comment:

Lucy said...

Hey, how about an update... you have done very well, but we're still watching you and waiting for some more news:-) Big hugs, Me XX